Catarina's Exchange to Richmond, the American International University in London | England



Source: MU Student Mobility Office

My name is Catarina Chesworth and I studied abroad at Richmond, the American International University in the UK in Semester 2 of 2019. At Murdoch University, I am studying English and Creative Writing and Theatre and Drama.

 

The key factors for myself choosing to study at Richmond, the American International University were…

I needed to look at if the university had both English and Drama. I wanted to go to the UK from the moment that I found out about the Exchange program, overall I chose Richmond because it was in the heart of London and the easiest and most convenient place for me to travel around.

 

A little about Richmond, the American International University …

I took four classes, I took History of London, World Theatre, Screen Acting and British Fantasy writing. The classes I took were all amazing and I loved every minute of them. AT the start I have to admit, I as quite nervous because I wasn’t sure how different they would be from my classes back in Murdoch, but they were very different, I would have to say the biggest difference was the fact that the classes size was about half of what a class would be in Murdoch, my smallest class consisted of me and 3 other students, where my biggest class consisted of around 18. Small class sizes meant that every student had a far better connection with their tutor which was good to have, especially being in a new place it was good to be able to gain easy clarification. My favorite class was my screen acting class, it was a class that I chose to do for fun, I learnt so much and because there were only 11 other students in the class we all gained a close connection with eachother and we are still keeping in contact. The tutor for that class felt like a friend, someone who was easily approachable and a fantastic mentor. The class that I gained the most experience from was my British Fantasy Writing Class, I wrote some of my best essays on that class, mainly because I got to write about Harry Potter and Narnia. The other two classes were good too, for History of London we got to learn about London and the history of is from when the Anglo Saxons took over, to current times. We went on field trips each week it was very interesting to see. World Theatre was impactful because we got to learn about all the theatre techniques and styles from all over the world instead of just sticking to one style from one country we did them all.



Source: MU Student Mobility Office

A little about the city I lived in, London…

I lived in London; I however was situated in Kensington. It was very easy to get around London and all other England too. The Tube is easy to navigate once you go on it a couple times, otherwise the signs are very easy to read and follow. I didn’t really have a favorite place to eat because I wanted to venture out and try new things each time, but they have a Sushi place called Wassabi and another place called Wagamama which were both very nice, but a little on the pricey side. People were mostly nice, it would depend on where you were, just like in Perth. It also depends on how you treat people yourself, if you are nice and welcoming people are more than likely to give you the same treatment.



  

Source: MU Student Mobility Office

The best parts of my experience…

Travel was a fantastic part of my exchange, every time I went out was a new place for me. I also really liked living on campus, it was very convenient. The classes were fantastic and the friends I made are irreplaceable. I now have friends from all over the world.

 

Some of the challenges about studying abroad…

At the start I had bad homesickness, it was hard to get out and I felt like I didn’t belong there. But once I Started getting out and seeing things and talking to people, I soon got over that and when it was time to leave it was hard to say goodbye to my life there. The only time I experienced culture shock was when I travelled out of the UK.

 

A little about my accommodation whilst studying abroad…

I lived on campus in Kensington with a roommate. My accommodation was nice, and meals were included in the price of the accommodation. Even though it is sometimes tough, my advice would be to go for the roommate option if you are able to. Either that or get close to the people on your floor.

 

Funding my exchange experience…

I saved all my money, I had been saving for over a year.

 

Whilst on exchange, I travelled to…

I traveled to Scotland first, I only got to visit Glasgow but it was so green and it is one of my favorite places in the UK. I then went to Bath and Lowesoft, they were small little coastal towns and the locals were friendly, I went to Brighton and Eastbourne, they are something else and the locals are very welcoming and always about if you get lost, Brighton had stones on their beaches which was so crazy. I traveled all over London. I went to the City of Kent every fortnight to visit family, Kent it beautiful. I got to travel to France twice, it is so weird going to a place that English is not the spoken language and nor are the signs. My favorite place however is Barcelona, it was beautiful, green and full of live, I can’t wait to go again and see more.

 

Advice I would give to someone considering studying abroad…

I would say just give it ago, it seems so scary, but it is a once in a live time opportunity. If I had the chance to go again I would. Everything is a new experience there and your confidence in yourself grows. If you are even questioning it, ask people around you who have done it, ask everything you need to but honestly just give it your best shot. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have bad anxiety and I thought I wouldn’t be able to do it. But I did it and it’s the best thing I have ever done for myself.

 

- Catarina studied abroad at Richmond, the American International University in London.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!

EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

 

FIND US!

WEBSITE:https://www.murdoch.edu.au/mymurdoch/support-advice/murdoch-experience/travel-while-you-learn
FACEBOOK:
www.facebook.com/murdochoutbound
INSTAGRAM:
www.instagram.com/murdochoutbound


Powered by Blogger.