Rachel's Exchange to University of Victoria | Canada

My name is Rachel Newsome and I studied abroad at the University of Victoria in Canada in Semester 2 of 2019. At Murdoch University, I am studying Marine Biology.

 



The key factors for myself choosing to study at the University of Victoria were…

  1. Really interesting marine-specific units (and really interesting non-marine units)
  2. Beautiful local area (Victoria/Vancouver Island/Canada)
  3. Really good research projects (not relevant to my undergraduate degree, but the University research was close to what I find interesting and hence I had some really interesting discussions with my professors while on exchange)

 

A little about the University of Victoria …

University of Victoria is a beautiful campus, and is located 10 minutes from a beach, and 20 minutes from downtown.

I took:

  1. Conservation and Ecology of Whales (GEOG303)
  2. Coastal Geography (GEOG252)
  3. Understanding our Oceans (EOS350)
  4. Introduction to the Night Sky (ASTR101)

All my classes were super interesting and enjoyable, and all my professors were kind, always up to talk (whether that be about course content or unrelated content) and were extremely understanding of any issues that arose. Most of my classes were in smaller classrooms and were predominantly lectures, with only 1 lab every 2 weeks for ASTR101. GEOG303 was extremely interesting, as Professor Duffus brought in whale skulls, baleen, whale vertebrae, and whale mandibles into class to demonstrate course concepts and spark further interest in his students. The teaching system was predominantly different in 2 aspects; lectures were not recorded online, and there were less labs than at Murdoch. I had 14 – 17 contact hours a week, in total.

 


A little about the city I lived in, Victoria…

I absolutely loved Victoria, it’s a beautiful, relatively small city surrounded by beautiful beaches, harbours, and a flurry of marine and terrestrial wildlife (think… deer, bears, humpback whales, orcas, squirrels, birds, raccoons and more!). Vancouver Island was equally beautiful, and an incredible place to explore with friends on a long weekend or during reading break.

It was super easy to get around on public transport in Victoria, and surrounds (can get to the ferry terminal and Sidney via Victoria bus routes). Just remember to go to the student service centre and pay the $90 fee to unlock your bus pass (and get unlimited bus rides while enrolled at the university) as soon as you receive your OneCard.

I loved visiting Sooke, approximately a 1-1.5-hour drive from Victoria, Sidney, a 30-minute drive (or 1-hour bus) from Victoria, and the many surrounding beaches of Victoria. During summer, fishermen’s wharf and the harbour are must-sees (even nice in winter, but summer they have an extra flair with sailing boat shows, ferry-taxi performances, and markets. Fishermen’s wharf also has some incredible food places to check out.

Local cafés are a super fun place to study at. Bean Around the World coffee does the best coffee in town (and is Australian-level coffee where other places do drip coffee) so definitely a must-visit if you’re a coffee drinker/lover.

Superbaba in downtown also has incredible food, especially if wraps or falafel bowls are up your alley.

Locals were extremely friendly and accommodating!

 


The best parts of my experience…

Building life-long friendships, exploring the beautiful island environment, learning and taking University courses that are unique to the area and unavailable in Australia, and making memories that will be cherished and last a life-time.



Some of the challenges about studying abroad…

There were a few moments where I got a little bit homesick, but in those circumstances,  I went out with my friends in Canada and distracted myself with other activities. I did not experience much culture shock; Canada is very similar to Australia.

 

A little about my accommodation whilst studying abroad…

I did homestay while on exchange, as it is the cheapest option and I was living in an above-ground basement, where I had my own living area and private bathroom and room.

It can be really overwhelming trying to find accommodation in your host city, especially if they don’t have very good on-campus options. However, the University will have a range of different options on their website for housing, so browse these options early (long before you need to arrange or book a housing arrangement) and at your own leisure.


 


Funding my exchange experience…

I funding my exchange experience through a combination of the OS Help Loan, the Murdoch University Travel Bursary Scholarship, and personal savings that I have been putting aside since first year. It’s important to take extra money overseas, because you’d rather come back with a little extra than be limiting yourself while on exchange.



My volunteering experience whilst on exchange…

I did some volunteering while on Exchange. I did a volunteer capture-recapture program on white tail deer in the Victoria and surrounds area. I gained experience in research methods and friendships from this, and I recommend doing volunteering or an Internship while you’re on Exchange – if you can.

Even just joining your University’s clubs and other activities helps you make friends and get the most out of your time abroad.


 

Whilst on exchange, I travelled to…

I did lots of travelling while on exchange, both in the local area of southern Vancouver Island with my friends (mini road trip-type travel) and further away into the United States of America. Trying to make the most of my time in the area I visited Vancouver, Sooke, Nanaimo, Campbell River, Sidney, Alaska, Seattle, California, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon.

I cannot recommend getting out there and doing exploring enough, it’s worth saving up for!


 


Advice I would give to someone considering studying abroad…

Save up plenty of money, make a list of places you want to visit in the area, join clubs or ask to volunteer, and get out there and do it!


  

- Rachel studied abroad at the University of Victoria in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!

EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

 

FIND US!

WEBSITE:https://www.murdoch.edu.au/mymurdoch/support-advice/murdoch-experience/travel-while-you-learn
FACEBOOK:
www.facebook.com/murdochoutbound
INSTAGRAM:
www.instagram.com/murdochoutbound


Powered by Blogger.