Rhianna's Exchange to Hamburg University of Applied Sciences | Germany




What is your name?
Rhianna Jones

Which year & semester did you go on Exchange?
Semester 2 2019 (September 2019 – February 2020)

Which Exchange Partner University did you attend?
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences / HAW Hamburg (Germany)







What degree are you studying at Murdoch University?
Games Art and Design + Japanese

What were the key factors for choosing your Exchange University?
The key factors for me were taking units that I would enjoy, and would teach me things that I wouldn’t otherwise learn at Murdoch. I decided to go with a friend who did the same degree as me, and we I looked at quite a few universities in Europe. We found that the units at HAW seemed the most interesting as they offered book illustration and 2D animation, which were things we were eager to learn. There was a bit of miscommunication though, as the specific units change every semester, so there wasn’t necessarily a Book Illustration “unit”, but rather a couple of units a semester that fell under “Book Illustration”. Additionally, we were excited by the idea of studying in a different country. Initially I planned to study in Japan (as it is my second major), but decided to choose a country which I’d never been to, and never really planned to visit since none of the Japanese universities offered Game Design.

Please tell us about your Exchange University...
I took a total of four classes which all varied quite differently:
·         Procreate for the iPad Pro: A very self-motivated class where the teacher taught us to use Procreate, an illustration program on the iPad. The class ran for three hours once a week and there were no assignments, tests or exams associated with the class. There was very little teacher instruction, he spent the first few weeks teaching us about the program but mostly we were on our own.
·         Bologna Twenty-Twenty: A book-illustration class where we worked to produce five pieces of work by November for the Bologna Children’s Book Fair competition. We met up every week for an hour in small groups to discuss our work, but didn’t actually do any work in class and the teacher didn’t give us any instruction at all – all our work was done in our own time, and the class time was simply for critique and discussion. When the competition deadline had passed, we simply got to pick another project to work on for the rest of semester in a similar style, with weekly meetings and a small presentation in the last class.
·         Smart Objects – Bring the digital world to life: My only class that didn’t really have anything to do with my degree back home, I got to build a drone and learn how to make a robot using an Arduino microcontroller.  Classes ran for three hours once a week, and the only real thing we needed to deliver was to produce something interactive for the exhibition at the end of the semester. No prior knowledge was necessary and the teacher would help us with our ideas and our code. The class was mostly given in English because half the class were international students and all the domestic students spoke English too.
·         Introduction to 3D Modelling in ZBrush: Similar to the Procreate class, the teacher taught us to use ZBrush, and we got to make whatever we wanted in the program. He would come around and give us individual assistance if necessary, but we were mostly left alone to our own devices. Classes ran for three hours once a week.

One thing I noticed was that it wasn’t uncommon to see people leaving at any point throughout any of the classes, and it was also unusual for students to turn up on time either. Classes were much more “casual” that back home, with no assignments, no unit outlines and no real deadlines besides presenting what we’d done at the end of semester. The classes were mostly delivered in German, but because I don’t speak any German, they would usually come to the international students individually and provide English assistance where they could. It’s definitely a different system to what we have at Murdoch and it certainly took me a while to get used to it!

Please tell us about the city you lived in...
Hamburg is an absolutely beautiful city and although not incredibly touristy, I would say it’s a great stop-over or weekend getaway town. It’s a very green city with trees and parks everywhere, and people walking dogs at any time of the day all over the city! We were lucky enough to get all our public transport included with our semester fee, so we could take any train or bus within the rings of the Hamburg transport system for free. The trains go pretty much everywhere in Hamburg, so you never really have to travel for longer for 15-30 minutes to get anywhere you need. It’s also a very walkable city, and lots of people tend to cycle around as well. The locals in Hamburg have a stereotype of being quite “cold” on the outside, and it’s said to be hard to get to know the locals. I unfortunately didn’t get the opportunity to connect with many local “Hamburgers”, but lots of people speak English so I didn’t find it that difficult to live in the city without any knowledge of German.




My friends and I got into a regular Sunday meet-up we called “Espresso House Sundays”, where every Sunday, we would go to a cozy little Espresso House (a European café chain) in Mönckebergstraße and spend the afternoon working on university work or personal projects. There are lots of really nice cafés in Hamburg, but we found the Espresso Houses the nicest and the most moderately priced. We also occasionally would go out for dinner to celebrate birthdays or catch up with friends, and one of our favourite places was an Italian pizza and pasta restaurant called L’Osteria, which does amazing massive pizzas, and a little place called What’s Beef, which does these massive shakes with donuts stacked on top. I can also highly recommend Dulf’s Burgers, another burger chain which served what were probably the best burgers I’ve ever had.

There’s a bit of a drinking culture in Germany, but unfortunately I’m intolerant to alcohol. It was hilarious when I first arrived to have to explain to every German I met that I couldn’t drink, and many of them could wrap their heads around it! There’s a red-light district called the Reeperbahn and lots of my friends would go to pubs and bars there and have a great night, and there’s definitely a bit of a night life there if that’s what you like.






What were the best parts of your Exchange experience?
I really loved meeting people from all over the world and became good friends with a few others from the Netherlands, Spain, England, Ireland, America, and even other Australians! We went travelling together and celebrated birthdays together, and it was great to learn more about other cultures and also make some great, talented friends along the way – friendships which I’m hoping we can keep up after we depart back to our home countries.
I had the opportunity to travel to Copenhagen with many of them, where we spent the weekend bouncing around the city and hitting all the popular spots. We spontaneously went to a theme park called Tivoli Gardens which was all decorated for Halloween, which was so memorable, and probably one of my favourite memories of my time here.
Another one of my favourite memories is spending my birthday there – even though I don’t drink and I don’t like to go to clubs, we all went out to a bar on the Reeperbahn (the big red-light district) and at midnight, they all started singing happy birthday at the top of their lungs in the middle of the street, much to the surprise of the locals there. I’ve never celebrated my birthday like that, and I don’t think I ever will.
One thing I definitely have to recommend is making full use of the mensa – the school’s cafeteria. Their menu updates daily (you can view it in advance on their website) and their meals are super cheap and often really delicious. They often have a pasta bar and a salad bar where you pay per 100 grams, as well as set meals that can be slightly more expensive, but it’s a wonderfully cheap option and will probably save you a lot of money down the line. I would highly recommend popping into IKEA or another store and buying some Tupperware or a lunchbox, and then bringing it to the mensa with you and saving any leftovers for later. It’s a great snack if you get hungry in class, or put them in your fridge for later for a cheap lunch or dinner, and it means you don’t have to waste any food if you can’t finish what’s on your plate!





Was there anything you struggled with while on your Exchange?
Strangely enough, the hardest and most stressful part for me while on exchange was dealing with the administration in Hamburg. Although I planned to open a bank account to make rent payments easier, it ended up being far too much fuss and the bank actually rejected us because we didn’t have jobs in Germany. Additionally, I didn’t receive my temporary residence permit until January (a month before I was set to leave the country), and when I tried to reschedule my appointment, there was a miscommunication issue, and instead of giving me the permit I needed, they gave me some other kind of visa, which I didn’t need.

Choosing units for university was also quite stressful, as their system wasn’t done online like back home, and all they told us was to go to whatever classes we wanted in the first week and pencil our names down. It was a lot less structured and very informal, which also gave me quite a bit of stress, as I wasn’t sure what to expect or what to do.

I Skyped my parents every weekend and called my friends ever now and then, so it was nice to get to hear from them, and I think that likely helped with the homesickness. There were also two others from Perth with me, so it was nice to have other people who were in the same situation as me. I didn’t really experience any culture shock as lots of Germans speak English and I didn’t really have the experience to learn about any German cultural customs, since the Germans I lived with in my dorm mostly kept to themselves, and I was able to just live like I do back home.

Please tell us about where you lived while on Exchange...
I was lucky enough to get student accommodation, and it happened to be at a newly-renovated dorm that was just a fifteen-minute walk away from the campus, and it was so much nicer and cleaner than some of the other dorms I’ve visited. It was a female-only dorm that was mostly occupied by domestic German students, I had my own bedroom but shared a kitchen and four bathrooms with fourteen other girls. The room was mostly bare and plain with lots of storage, but a blanket and some little fake plants later, it very quickly became home to me. There was only one other exchange student on my floor, another girl from Perth, so it was nice to have at least one friend on the floor. All the other girls only spoke German and didn’t speak too much English, so it was hard to get to know them. As someone who’s a bit of an introvert, I found it a little awkward and difficult to constantly be around so many other strangers, but it’s definitely something I learnt to deal with while I lived there.

Student accommodation is definitely quite hard to get in Hamburg as it’s in very high demand, so do you best to get in quick and hope that you can get something. I heard of many students who applied too late, or who arrived after semester started and were unable to get rooms, and then had to search for their own accommodation which was far more expensive and often far away from campus.

How did you fund your Exchange experience?
As I wasn’t an Australian citizen at the time, I didn’t have access to OS Help. I’m lucky enough that my parents were willing to help fund my trip, so most of my immediately expenses came from them, and I paid for other expenses such as movies, flights and weekend trips. I got into the habit of keeping a budgeting sheet and tracking all of my expenses, and now that my trip is over, I know exactly how much money I spent while I was gone. Germany is still a very cash-heavy city and only places like grocery stores and larger shops have card machines, so it also helped me know if I was missing any money. I’ll be paying them back when I return with my own savings that I’ve gathered from working back home, as well as the Murdoch First scholarship I received and have been saving for this occasion.

Did you do any travel while you were on exchange?
Yes, I did a little bit of travelling while I was away! My friends and I did day trips out to Luneberg and Blankenese, and also weekend trips down to Berlin and Copenhagen. It was awesome to have the opportunity to travel, since everything in Europe is only a few hours away, and really make use of being in the centre of Europe.

At the end of semester, my friend and I gave ourselves a month before we came back home to travel, so we were lucky enough to travel to London with a friend we made on exchange, and since she studies in London, she showed us around and we all went to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour together! My friend and I also travelled to Paris to spend a few days at Disneyland (fun fact: if you have a German residence permit and you’re under 25, you can get into the Louvre for free as long as you show proof!). One of the friends we made in Germany was spending her next semester in Switzerland, so we ended our trip by going to Lucerne to visit her, and were just in time for Fasnacht, a big four-day long carnival where everyone dresses up and they play music in the streets.

What advice would you give someone who is considering / about to embark on Exchange?
Definitely give it a go if you can afford it! I know it’s an expensive endeavor and there might be times when you might regret your decision, but it’s now something I have very fond memories of. It’s definitely made me feel more confident in myself and like more of an adult, even if there have been times where I’ve been more stressed than I’ve ever been in my entire life. Since I live with my parents back home, it’s given me the opportunity to learn how to be independent and learn more about myself, what I’m capable of, and the kinds of things I struggle with.

For those who want to go on exchange, it’s a great idea to pick a country you didn’t think you’d ever visit. I never planned to go to Germany (I’d been planning to go to Japan this entire time), but made the last minute decision to change, and if I hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t have met the incredible people I did, or seen the things I’ve seen.

For those who are about to go, I hope you have an incredible time! If you’re a bit of an introvert like me, try your best to put yourself out there, make those connections, and they’ll make you feel so much more at home in the coming months when you have people around you that you’re comfortable with. 

Anything else you would like to tell us about?
Thank you so much to Jeannette and all the others from Murdoch for all the support before going, she definitely helped ease our concerns and remind us of all the fun we would have overseas!


-  Rhianna studied abroad at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!
EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/murdochoutbound

Powered by Blogger.