Rachel's Exchange to University of Limerick | Ireland


My name is Rachel and I studied abroad at University of Limerick in Ireland in Semester 2, 2019. At Murdoch University, I am studying a double major in Crime Science and Criminal Behaviour - Bachelors of Criminology.



The key factors for myself choosing to study at University of Limerick were...

There were only a few key factors that I took into consideration when choosing my exchange university, I wanted to select a university within a country that spoke English as I did not have the time to learn a new language, I selected a country that didn’t have a strong culture that was extremely different to the one that I have grown up in as to ensure that I could be culturally sensitive while still experiencing a difference. And the last key factor was that I wanted to select a university that was located in Europe that provided units within my course.



A little about University of Limerick...

There really was not a massive difference in teaching and class styles as compared to Murdoch. Class structure was very typically, however unlike Murdoch thought they put the lecture slides on their online forum, they did not record their lectures. I found this different and at some points inconvenient. I took four class, Irish folklore, From Kingdom to Republic an Irish history, Crime and Criminal Justice, and Introduction to Sociology. I took the two Irish specific classes because I love history and I figured the best setting to learn about the Irish history is when I am physically in Ireland. I did not take classes they had heavy contact hours, they just consisted of 2-3 hour lectures for each class each week. However, I did not found that it was vital to attend class to pass, as I received good marks while doing a level of online teaching as I took many opportunities to travel.



A little about the city I lived in, Limerick…

Limerick was incredible as was with the whole of Ireland. I travel around on their public transport system which was able to get be all over the country and around town, it is so much better than Perths bus and train system, and it is a transport system that I do miss. there was a lot to see an do, even though I was in a relatively small city, because everything was so accessible by bus/ train. One of my favourite places to eat was this 50’s inspired dinner that they had on the main street of town. The locals were lovely, I had to ask a few questions and new train stations that I listed, and the people there were always happy to help me out and correct me on my pronunciation of town names. 



The best parts of my experience…

The best part about my experience was honestly the friends that I had made. Though I only keep in touch with a few of my house mates, I did a lot of travel around Europe with them, and around Ireland. Seeing parts of the world that I never expected to without the friends that I had made, would had made my abroad trip nothing like it was. 



Some of the challenges about studying abroad…

It surprised me, but I did not get home sick, I actually got upset that I had to return home. I also didn’t really experience culture shock, though when I would speak to my American friends that I made about Australia, that was when I would notice a difference in culture. I did experience reverse culture shock, for an extend period of time, but return back to university at Murdoch helped with that. 



A little about my accommodation whilst studying abroad…

I lived in on-campus accommodation while on exchange. This was the best decision as I was able to surround myself in the campus life and experience. I was then able to walk through the gorgeous campus each day to my classes and it also meant that hanging out with friends that I made in class easier. Also, as many of my house mates were also exchange students, we all understood what we all were going through, which made bonding a lot easier. My advice would be to get accommodation on campus and during the day make plans with your house mates, and hang out in the communal areas to make connections with people, rather than just staying in your room all day.  



Funding my exchange experience…

I did get the OS help Loan to help found my exchange, but I had also saved a fair amount of money from my part time job. However, my recommendation for future students who wish to go on exchange, is that you need more money than you think you do. Not because travel is necessarily expensive, but because you will want to do more than you originally think you do, as incredible opportunities pop up. 



Whilst on exchange, I travelled to…

 Yes, I did a fair amount of travel while away, but not so much that I wasn’t able to maintain my grades. I took a three day bus trip around Ireland, I spent a week on London, and I spent about three days in the following places, Northern Ireland - Belfast, Scotland- Edinburgh, Sweden - Gothenburg, Czech Republic - Prague, and Netherlands - Amsterdam, and a day trip to Wales. Many of these places I went to I went to with a friend, however I travel to many towns in Ireland, for day trip along, I also went to Prague alone. Though I think it is important to travel with someone, there is something very liberating about solo travel. All these locations were such an incredible experience and I cannot wait to travel again.    



Advice I would give to someone considering studying abroad…

The advice I would give is:

  • don’t stay camped up in your room
  • get out join a club
  • make dinner for your house mates
  • book too many holidays, but  start your assignments early so you can travel
  • and save more many than you think you’ll need
  • Don’t get caught up in making friends or missing home, its only a short while and everything generally always works out. 




- Rachel studied abroad at the University of Limerick in Ireland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!

EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
Powered by Blogger.