Taylor's Exchange to Konkuk University | Korea


Hi my name is Taylor and in semester 1 2019 I went on exchange to Konkuk University in South Korea. At Murdoch I am studying Laboratory Medicine and Genetics & Molecular Biology.

The key factors in me choosing Konkuk University were ...


The key factors for me were, I wanted to go somewhere I had never been before; I wanted to go somewhere that was offering units focused towards what I was studying; and I wanted to go somewhere that didn’t speak English as its native language.



A little about Konkuk University, the classes and the teaching system ...

Konkuk University was such an amazing host university for me! Konkuk was smaller than Murdoch, so memorizing the layout of campus happened quickly. All the staff and students I spoke to were very friendly and helpful. Additionally, the location for students was awesome! It had cheap food places right outside campus for students on a budget; it had a more business/recreational area within walking distance; and it was right on a train line that circulated a good portion of Seoul.


The classes I took at Konkuk were Genetic Engineering and Experiment; Molecular Medical Science; Korean Elementary; Korean Culture; and Korean History for Foreign Students. All the teachers that taught my classes were very kind and accommodating, especially so in the more science-orientated classes I did. I was the only international student in those classes, so a lot of discourse did happen in Korean, but my lab partners and teachers were always checking in with me in English, and encouraged me to ask questions.

Classes were a little different from Murdoch. I didn’t sit in a single lecture theatre for any class, all of them took place in a classroom-like setting. But content-wise, it was taught similarly to Murdoch, with lecture slides and midsemester and final exams. Attendance was taken at every lecture however! Using an online registration system, which was a surprise for me considering I haven’t had compulsory lectures in Murdoch since Day One. My units all ranged from having 1 – 3 contact hours a week, but my science units on top of that also had 3 hour lab sessions. 


A little about the city I lived in, Seoul ...

Seoul was a very busy and small city, but it felt like it was always filled with surprises (if you knew where to look, or better yet, if you got some insider knowledge). Even leading up to my last days in the city, I was discovering more places or new things to see. Getting around was super easy! The train lines were very easy to interpret and even easier to ride as the Korean SmartRider equivalent, T-Money Cards, were available to buy at any convenience store, and could be topped up at numerous locations around the city.

I was torn between two places that were my favourite to eat at. The first was a 냉면(naengmyeon) place near Konkuk university, which was introduced to me by one of Konkuk’s International Student Volunteers, Yumi (also goes by, Olivia), who actually took Murdoch representatives around Konkuk before I arrived at Konkuk. 냉면 quickly became my favourite Korean dish! The second place, which was notoriously loved by all international exchange students after myself and a close group of other exchange students found it, was a fried chicken and beer place called, Outdark. Outdark easily had some of the best fried chicken I have ever had, and I remember having to go there THREE times during my last week of semester, because so many groups wanted to go there for a final farewell.

The locals were incredibly friendly! Near everyone I spoke to greeted me with a smile, and there were even a few locals who ended up knowing me somewhat. In particular, I remember one lovely lady that worked the morning shifts at the coffee shop near my dormitory ended up remembering me (and my regular morning coffee order) every time I walked in – however our conversations did consist of a lot of charades and broken Korean and English. When I was at the National History Museum of Seoul, I even by happen chance befriended a father of two who stuck up conversation with me, and he then later treated me to lunch.



The best part about my exchange experience ...

Easily the best part of exchange was meeting all the new friends I made, and learning to integrate myself into a new culture. I made a number of both Korean and international friends while I was on my exchange, and it is definitely all the little things I did with these people that were the best parts (that’s not to say our bigger adventures like hiking up mountains or travelling the coast of Korea weren’t a blast also). But for me personally, having to, on my own, find my own way through a new a country with new customs and a different way of life, was so much fun. Towards the end of exchange, I was subconsciously taking off my shoes to enter restaurants when appropriate and receiving anything given to me with two hands to be polite. I even received the occasional comment that I was doing things “so Korean” towards the end of my exchange (which I quietly took pleasure in).



My struggles whilst on exchange and how I dealt with them ...

For myself, probably the biggest struggle I faced while on exchange was getting into my usual routine. One of the big challenges I faced first and foremost was scavenging breakfast. Breakfast isn’t usually an important meal in Korea, some even go without it, and those who do get breakfast, don’t have what I would call ‘breakfast foods.’ It took me a bit, but I ended up adapting to my new pseudo-breakfast style, that I made from the sandwich and coffee shop right near my dormitory.  I surprisingly didn’t feel much culture shock however. Which looking back, makes a bit of sense considering how much exposure I had to East Asian cultures in middle and high school, but that was predominantly Japanese culture. Even so I adapted to Korean life and customs relatively quickly, so I wasn’t feeling any culture shock. Really, the sleeper hit was the reverse culture shock which Jeannette mentioned that, I’ll be honest, I didn’t take much heed of her warning. Also surprisingly, I didn’t experience much home sickness. I was just having so much fun living in another country, it never became an issue. I even was a little sad I had to go home once my time had finished. But I could tell my family missed me dearly. 



A little about my accommodation at Konkuk University ...

I lived at the on-campus dormitory at Konkuk University. The room I had was quite small, so that took some adjusting to get used to, and since I was a foreign student, I had to share my room with another student. However, my roommate ended up leaving about half way through the semester. The location was extremely convenient, as I was only ever a 5 minute walk from any given building on campus (but the climb back up the hill the dorm was situated on was a slog some days), and living in the dorms was good because you had a sense of community with those on your floor, and usually we would knock on each other’s doors to see who wanted to go out for dinner. Not to mention there was a number of facilities right outside the dormitory building. Advice I would give however would be that, if you want to save some cash, look at places near Konkuk also, because a fair few students lived off campus (some even a bit cheaper than my dorm), but if you aren’t overly worried about money, I would say the extra cost is worth the convenience.



How I funded my exchange experience ... 

I funded my exchange purely by my personal savings. I knew back in high school I wanted to do some studying abroad when I went to university. I saved up nearly all the money I made from working for 5 years at EB Games. But honestly, I had more than enough savings, and the exchange as a whole cost me less that what I expected in the end.

Travelling whilst on Exchange ...

Yes!!! After I finished my semester, a friend of mine who came on exchange with me, and a mutual friend of ours when travelling around the coast of Korea. We went to Jeonju, Suncheon, Busan, Andong and Kyeonju. It was very different travelling experience personally jumping from town to town, spending only a day or two at any one location. But I saw so many things from Buddhist temples on the edge of cliffs, to historic villages, and even a restaurant that my favourite Korean American actor, Ma Dong-Seok visited! (That was pure chance, but I was stilled hyped when our friend spied his picture on the wall of the place we had dinner)


My advice to someone who is considering/ about to embark on Exchange ...

My advice would be that, where ever you’re thinking of going, plan now. I started planning from my very first semester of university to go on exchange, and between all the work I had to do with my part time job and keeping up with studies, I had to try and squeeze in time to plan my exchange. So, don’t leave things to the last minute!

But for those who aren’t sure about going on exchange because they are worried, they won’t cope or they won’t be able to adapt to a new style of living, take it from a guy who deals with anxiety himself, worry about that when you’re in the moment. All the things I worried about with living in another country without my family for support, when it came time to face those worries, I just found you can just do it. As a wise man once said: “Sometimes you gotta run, before you can walk”. 

-  Taylor studied abroad at Konkuk University in South Korea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!
EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!


Powered by Blogger.