Daniel's Internships Abroad in China, Tonga and Mongolia | China | Tonga | Mongolia







My name is Daniel and in 2018/19 I completed three Internships Abroad. My internships were with Worley in Chengdu, China, The Pacific centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in Nuku'alofa, Tonga and Sustainability East Asia in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. At Murdoch I am studying a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering. 

The key factors for me deciding to do an overseas Internship were . . . 


An opportunity to get international experience that will position me well for a future in international development.
Getting out of my comfort zone.

The chance to immerse myself in a different culture, and create a network of friends throughout the world. 


A little about my Internships, my responsibilities and what I learnt from these experiences . . .


The Pacific Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PCREEE) is working to increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency in the Pacific. While interning with PCREEE I was charged with creating a summary of Tonga’s current energy situation to be used in the development of investment guidelines. I also worked largely on building the capacity of the private sector around sustainable energy.

Worley is an international engineering firm and its Chengdu office in China focuses on the construction and management of chemical plants all over the world. I was a Project Control Assistant, which meant I was involved with project scheduling and cost control. The Chengdu office was a great environment to work in and I spent most weekends exploring the countryside with friends from the office. I leant a great deal about project management and correctly managing changes, such as new software within engineering teams.

Sustainability East Asia is a safety and environmental consultancy. I was lucky enough to be a part of a team auditing the construction phase of Mongolia’s largest windfarm to date. It was an opportunity to learn about conducting business in a different culture and how cultural difference have to be taken into account when working with colleagues from different backgrounds.

Each aspect of my program has played a role in the path I am setting for myself. From experiencing the aftermath of landslides in Japan, to issues around ground water abstraction in Mongolia, to the coral bleaching and saltwater intrusion in Tonga, I have been exposed firsthand to the effects of the changing climate and the issues related to poor resource management. This has continually strengthened my drive and intention to work on mitigating the causes of these issues and reduce their effects. It has also provided me with the real-life experience that I will be able to draw upon later in my career.


A little about Mongolia, China and Tonga . . .

Mongolia is a beautiful country; however, the misuse of natural resource and insufficient planning of infrastructure is degrading its natural beauty. Ulaanbaatar is the capital city and home to around 50% of the country’s population, and all the universities. The poorer people live on the outskirts of the city in yurts (basically well-designed tents) and burn coal for heat, blanketing the city in smoke during the colder months. The people are kind and food is cheap, if you like eating meat you’ll have plenty of options, not so if you don’t.

My perception of China was completely changed after traveling there. The major cities do have issues with pollutions but if you are lucky enough to venture out to the countryside you witness beautiful topography, and site of cultural and historic significance. My issue with China was its scale and my limited time, meaning I got to see a lot less than I would have liked. The people are loud and can be pushy, but if you strike up a conversion with a local they are incredibly helpful and generous. Public transport and bike sharing make getting around the city and even country fairly easy, the difficulty is that most places don’t have English translations or English versions of apps. 

Tonga is also most exactly how you may imagine it, extremely laid back; things do not happen in a hurry. If possible get out to explore a few of the smaller islands, there are an endless number of beautiful beaches.

The best parts about my Internships were . . .

With the Pacific Centre of Excellence on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in Tonga I was able to run a series of workshops in Tongan schools, engaging and promoting renewable energy, energy efficiency and gender equality to the students.

In Mongolia, I was lucky enough to spend some time with a rural family in the countryside. Their nomadic lifestyle has remained relatively unchanged for decades; a tough but rewarding life. It allowed me to reflect on my life and what is truly important to me.

Beating my Chinese colleagues in Mahjong every time we played. No, by far the best moments were those shared with the close friends I made during each internship. These friends helped me adapt to my new environment and answer any questions I had. I continue to stay in touch with them, for example, a friend from China is helping me learn Mandarin via Skype.


Struggles and dealing with challenges . . .

I didn’t really experience home sickness or culture shock during my internships. I think this was due to the ease in which you are able to stay in contact with friends and family with social media. I also made sure that a kept some form of common routine during my travels, for example and would join the gym and keep a consistent workout routine in each new location.

My accommodation while abroad and funding my internships. . .

In Mongolia I was fortunate enough to be able to stay in an apartment owned by the company for employee travelling between international offices. This was great as it was a short walk to work each day and I did not have to pay for accommodation.

My accommodation in China was organized on arrival, I stayed in a hotel for a few nights before my colleagues helped me find a suitable apartment. The apartment was similar to a hotel suite, small but nice. In china landlords need a special permit to rent to foreigners, which mine did not have so one night I was not allowed home while the police conducted a random check of the building.

Tonga proved to be the most difficult location of my internships to find accommodation. I ended up renting a room off a family. It was quite expensive but proved to be a very rewarding experience and great way to experience local culture.

New Colombo Plan Scholarship provided monthly stipends to cover costs associated with studying or interning in the Indo-Pacific region.





Travelling whilst interning abroad . . .

Between each of these program components, I was also able to travel through Sri Lanka, Indonesia, South Korea, Hong Kong, India and Nepal.

Besides the professional relationships, I made some great friends that I will continue to stay in touch with from across the globe. A perfect example of this was being able to meet up with the family of a friend I made while studying in Japan as I travelled through Sri Lanka. The relationship I established with this family may also lead to me undertaking research for my thesis on water treatment in Sri Lanka.

Hiking to Everest Base Camp in Nepal was a real highlight of my time abroad. I spent two weeks hiking through the Himalayas. The scenery is breath taking and I was fortunate enough not to get altitude sickness, you do come to appreciate the amount of oxygen in the air at sea level.


My advice to someone who is considering embarking on an overseas internship . . .

It will be the most valuable and memorable time spent at university. If you are lucky enough to secure an internship overseas, know that there will be challenging moment but things have a way of working out. Working in abroad is the best way to experience a different country and immerse yourself its culture.

During your overseas internship, you will likely be able to attend events and have opportunities that you normally wouldn’t. Make the most of these chances, say yes to as much as possible, network and make friends. I was able to attend mining conferences and water management workshop in Mongolia, the Australian Innovation Dialogue in Chengdu, and interview different Ministers and change makers in Tonga.

We all worry about our future and that of our children – hoping that we will be able to provide for them and give them the best possible chance to have a happy life. These realisations make bridging gaps between cultures and countries such an important task. Overseas internships, study and travel is a great step breaking down barriers.

- Daniel completed an Internships Abroad in China, Tonga and Mongolia


--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!
EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
Powered by Blogger.