Christine's Exchange to Nottingham Trent University | England


My name is Christine and in semester 2, 2018 I studied abroad at Nottingham Trent University (NTU) in England. At Murdoch I am Majoring in Criminology and Minoring in Cyber Forensics.

The key factors for me choosing to study abroad in England were . . .

I’ve always wanted to travel and live in the UK and Europe, which is one of the reasons I chose my host university. Being based in the UK was perfect because English is the main language and it was close to London, where a few of my friends lived. It also made travelling to other countries nearby much easier and cheaper. My host university offered really interesting units that tailored my Criminology degree to areas of interest for me. I also wanted to be based in the UK because the legal and policing systems are similar to Australia, so the content in the units was still relevant to me. 


A little about NTU, the classes and teaching system . . .


I really enjoyed the university learning environment. If the content for one of the units was 2 hours, they would have two separate 1 hour lectures; which I found much more manageable.  The content was also contemporary and relevant, so it was easy to stay motivated because it was all really interesting. NTU had a massive athletic culture; it was really fun to get involved because it was much easier to make friends in these environments. I joined a dance club, and everyone went out for drinks every Wednesday it was really fun. There were often a lot of markets or activities planned at NTU, a huge range of food fairs and festive activities it was good fun going to uni every day. My workload was about I had 2 classes every day except Friday (which was perfect because I could travel more on weekends).


A little about the city I lived in, Nottingham . . .

Nottingham was a small city, easy to navigate but big enough to host a number of fun activities and attractions. The main square always made an effort to host a seasonal market especially for events like Halloween and Christmas. The tram was the most effective and cheapest transport method or walking (but I did live fairly close to everything). I loved walking to NTU, I would get to walk through two really beautiful parks and it was a really enjoyable walk (especially when I first arrived in the warmer weather). The annual Nottingham Goose Fair was similar to the Perth Royal Show but on a much larger scale. My roommate and I went and enjoyed the carnival food and rides; it was a lot of fun. One of my favourite food places was Kabul Express, an Afghan restaurant that had the best chicken Biryani ever. Five guys had the best burgers, and it was definitely a hangover cure. 




The best parts about my exchange experience were . . .

It’s too hard to narrow down what the best parts of my exchange experience were so I’ll just mention a few memorable points

  •          Meeting new people is probably pretty cliché, but it really was one of the best parts of studying and travelling abroad. I loved making new friends and learning about their culture.
  •          I pushed myself outside of my comfort zone and did a lot of activities and travelling on my own, which really increased my independence and confidence. I took up different classes outside of NTU but within the Nottingham community to meet new people and try new things. I tried a variety of classes including dancing, yoga, and painting. There was a weekly community meditation group that I went to a few times, and I volunteered once a week which was definitely a highlight experience.
  •          A memorable experience was watching the AFL Grand Final West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood at a bar in London. It was one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever been around for a Grand Final. The entire venue was filled with Australians and staff organized a Bunnings sausage sizzle.
  •          I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and I went to The Cauldron pub in London with a friend of mine. It’s a magic themed immersive experience pub; you get given robes to wear and wands to use. It’s interactive and you to create your own cocktails following a potion recipe, it was amazing!

Struggles whilst on exchange and how I dealt with challenges . . .


When I first arrived in Nottingham I felt nervous and it took me about a month to feel comfortable and adjust to living on my own in a new city. Although British culture is different from Australian culture, it’s not completely dissimilar. It is less of a cultural shock and more of a slight adjustment and amusement at the difference in language and how things are done. I remember being in a self serve check out at ASDA trying to find ‘cucumber’ and having to hold it up and ask the check-out assistant “What do you call this??”. I found out the English call it a courgette.

I found that volunteering at St Paul Catholic Church’s soup kitchen actually reduced my homesickness because it connected me to the community and gave me a sense of belonging and purpose.

I was also fortunate enough to have a group of close friends living in London and Paris, so having that strong social support network definitely made any homesickness a lot easier to deal with.


My accommodation whilst on exchange . . . 

I missed out on living in the student halls coordinated through the university, but because I arrived in Nottingham sooner than most other students I was able to secure a room in a young share house really close to the city centre and the university. I lived in a suburb called Forrest Fields with 6 other roommates who I got on with well. I stayed in London at my friends’ house while I found a house in Nottingham using the website “Spareroom”. My advice in terms of accommodation would depend on the living arrangements you prefer. The student halls have excellent locations and are much more social, with more of a party scene. They have great support available for the residents as well. Because the age range is roughly between 18-22 I found it more beneficial being 25 to stay in a share house arrangement. There was a better balance between parties and down time which I much preferred. 


Funding my exchange experience . . .

I knew I wanted to study abroad a little more than a year before I went away, so I worked and saved to fund my exchange experience. As part of the study abroad exchange program application process, I was automatically entered into the running for one of the Gerald Frank Brown scholarship. I had to attend an interview where the questions asked were aimed at exploring my motivations for waiting to study abroad, how I would handle challenges faced, and what I would bring to the program. Soon after, I was so grateful and excited to find I was awarded one of the scholarships. Even with my savings and the scholarship I also took advantage of the OS Help Loan for extra security. 


Volunteering while on exchange . . .

The visa I was on would not allow me to work, and I really missed working. So I started volunteering at St Paul Catholic Church’s soup kitchen. I really loved this as it felt like giving back to the community that had taken me in and given me the opportunity to study and live in its beautiful city. I got to meet people from all walks of life, and it was a really grounding experience. I learnt more about British culture and got to share my Australian culture with the people I met and worked alongside. At Christmas time I attended their Christmas Carol event, and while I’m not religious it was really enjoyable and they gave me a pendent of St Mary as a thank you for working with them.

I was also involved in a volunteer day project coordinated through NTU that involved assisting at a local farm, Stonebridge City Farm. The tasks were mainly around assisting in building new animal enclosures, and afterwards we got to spend time with all the animals which was really fun. It was a good opportunity to meet other NTU students and be outdoors.


 Travelling while on exchange . . .

I travelled for about 2 months prior to studying, and took mini trips throughout my semester on the weekends. Before settling in Nottingham I travelled to the Netherlands (Amsterdam), Czech Republic (Prague), France (Paris), and Germany (Berlin, Nuremburg, Rothenburg, & Munich). I also made trips within the UK. My Mum, Aunty, & Uncle travelled over for a Europe trip and they were able to meet up with me to explore Oxford. On another weekend I travelled to the Scotland Highlands organized through a student support organization CityLife Nottingham. A few close school friends live in London, so I was lucky enough to visit them about every second weekend or plan trips away with them. One weekend they came up and visited Nottingham and I felt really excited to show them where I had been living. Another weekend we all travelled to Vienna in Austria together, which was incredibly beautiful to see in the colder weather.


My advice to someone who is considering embarking on exchange . . .

·       Biggest piece of advice would be to plan ahead
o    I’d recommend researching early about where you want to study and what classes are available
o    Planning early allows you to save more as well and work hard at the units you’re currently studying at Murdoch to achieve good grades
·   
     Plan/explore activities beyond drinking. Drinking and partying is a huge part of the social aspect of studying abroad and it is one of the best parts. However, I absolutely loved doing activities outside of this which allowed me to explore the city in new ways and meet different types of people. Balancing the parties with other activities made my experience a million times more amazing.
·    
     Travel! Studying in the UK meant it was relatively cheap to travel within the UK and Europe. The benefit of planning and saving far in advance was being able to travel so much. 



-  Christine studied abroad at Nottingham Trent University in England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!
EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!

Powered by Blogger.