Julia's Exchange to Salzburg University of Applied Sciences | Austria


One of the biggest regrets I came across while meeting new people, is that they didn’t go on an exchange during their university years. I came to quickly agree with them, going on an exchange is quite thrilling, and scary, but definitely worth all the trouble!


First day in Salzburg, Austria

I went to study in Salzburg, Austria at the beginning of the year, and while I had some difficulty with my visa, accommodation and Centrelink, it did not stop me from having a wonderful trip! For those planning on going on an exchange, make sure you organise your visa BEFORE you leave Australia, not after, like I did. It tested both my patience and reasoning to achieve my student visa, and communication is a definite key, make sure you know exactly which documents they require, and double check it. It is possible, however, to obtain a student visa in Europe, just so you know, and once I had mine, I was free to go study in Austria. Once in Salzburg, my FH Salzburg buddy met me at the train station to take me to my accommodation, this was literally the last resort to student accommodation in Salzburg, and surprisingly it was my cheapest and best-looking housing I could find, or so I thought. What was advertised as a nice, normal student housing, deceivingly left out the part where the second half of the building was a monastery. My buddy prepared me for the worst, thinking I will have to eat dinner with the nuns and confess my sins to the priest every Sunday. But as it turned out, the students are left completely to their own devices and I think I only saw a nun twice during my 5 months stay there. So the accommodation worked out! Even if I felt like Julie Andrews at this point. Once I settled in, my buddy took me out to the Old Town for a traditional Austrian meal, we had something the lines of a spinach knödel, and when we received our beers, I recalled my aunt saying “Gesundheit” as cheers in German. So I cheered away only for my buddy to almost spit her beer up, saying I just blessed her as if she sneezed. That day I learnt “Prost” is cheers in German and made a new friend.



Student accommodation in Salzburg, shared bedroom

Fast forward to my studies at FH Salzburg and I met loads of others just like me on an exchange and made some lifelong friends. I was even lucky to be visited by my friends from Australia during the summer holidays and meet up with those living in Europe. 


Fellow Graphic Design exchange students

There truly wasn’t a dull moment on this trip. Almost every weekend I was off travelling somewhere in Europe either to an old friend or with new friends. I went snowboarding in South East France, travelled to Poland almost every second weekend seeing family, went to Vienna for the Forward Festival, Munich for Frühlingsfest and Wine Festival, Milan for Design week, Venice for Le Biennale, Dublin for Lana Del Rey concert, Paris, Croatia for a sailing tour, and Budapest.


How did I manage all this travelling? I looked into a train pass and Eurail became my best friend. They offer 3 month passes with unlimited journeys, a winner in my eyes. At first glance the price looks too steep for any travelling student’s pocket, but after some heavy contemplation and comparisons, I realised purchasing single train tickets would add up very quickly and surpass the special train pass (and that’d have been for just two return journeys!)

Palace of Culture and Science, Warszawa, Poland


When you take my experience studying in Austria and compare it to studying in Australia, in my degree it did not seem very different. But I do recall focusing more on analogue techniques to later translate to digital, and as a graphic designer, this opened my eyes to a new process of thinking. However, I did get smashed with the foreign semester schedule, where classes ran irregularly every week, and at first made me believe I have time to travel every week, but then killed me towards the end when everything was suddenly due after the 5th class.

But seriously, despite all the mishappens during my exchange, I would recommend the experience 100%, I’m even thinking of doing my Masters degree overseas now…




-  Julia studied abroad at Salzburg University of Applied Sciences in Austria
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!
EMAIL: studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
Powered by Blogger.