India's Exchange to San Diego State University | USA

 


My name is India Lee and I studied abroad at San Diego State University (SDSU) in the USA in Semester 1, 2020. At Murdoch University, I am studying Graphic Design.

 

The key factors for myself choosing to study at SDSU were...

I’d always been super fascinated with America, especially the west coast. I also am obsessed with Mexican food, and was aware that San Diego are home to some great tacos and burritos – being on the border with Mexico they share a lot of culture between them. 


A little about SDSU...

I did 4 graphic design units. Typography I, History of Graphic Design, Graphic Design IV and Design for the Internet II. When I got there, I had a completely different list of units, in the first week you’ll figure out what needs to be changed and so-on. Reading the unit outlines doesn’t give you a lot of information so expect that your units will change in that first week. It can be quite stressful but just talk to any teachers you meet and students, they’ll give you a good idea about what units are good. Once it was all sorted it was great. You have class twice a week, the classes are about 3 hours each and each class you have homework to hand in. In your studio classes (Typography I and Graphic Design IV) you will be expected to print your work out and pin it on the wall for student feedback. It really is great, everyone draws over everyone’s work with revisions – you get an idea of what is working and what is not / it also makes you actually get your assignments going. When it is the day for handing in, you’ll present your work to the whole class. It was a really collaborative way of working and you feel a lot closer to your teacher and classmates. 



A little about the city I lived in, San Diego…

San Diego is a great city. Really clean, and not as much people compared to the bigger cities like LA. It is really sparse though, and without a car it’s a bit of trouble. The university has a “trolley” station – which is basically a tram which gets you west and east. If you want to North (which I highly recommend) to suburbs like Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar or Encinitas you’ll have to catch a train, bus or uber. Otherwise, we would just hire a car from Dirt Cheap Rentals and spend the weekend exploring up there ourselves. I had a meal plan so I ate on campus quite a bit, but there are sooo many good places to eat around San Diego. I spent lots of time in La Jolla and ate at Shore Rider Bar. Pacific Beach is also a lot of fun, I ate a lot at Baja Beach Café and get the big margaritas! There are also good places around campus that are not on the meal plan such as Senor Pachos. 



The best parts of my experience…

Definitely the classes for graphic design. SDSU has a very established Art School with great faculty. They all work in the field, and have great business advice as well as very unique, creative assignments that get you excited about the field. I did a typography class (which isn’t offered at uni) which was so interesting and made me really think about things I’d never been shown before. It was also a first year typography class, meaning you have to do 3 other typography classes to graduate. By their third year, they are creating their own typeface. There are so many units you can do and it was very inspiring. It is a lot of work though, which can be hard when you just want to go out and explore. Worth it though. I loved it.



Some of the challenges about studying abroad…

The first week or 2 is a bit lonely. You have to really put yourself out there and try to make friends. Even if you’d rather go to bed and watch Greys Anatomy – you have to really just be a yes person! It’s hard .. and then you do miss your friends and family a lot. It is all worth it though – you end up making very close friends who are all over the world!!


A little about my accommodation whilst studying abroad…

I really wanted to live on campus and all my friends who had done exchange to America at different universities did the same. I chose the South Campus Plaza which was great, but it was all sophomore who have already made their friends, especially coming in their semester 2 – there wasn’t a lot of engagement with exchange people. Most people stay at an off-campus apartment called BLVD 360 – which look great but are quite run down and gross. I was glad I knew people there, so went to the parties, but also got to go home. It is where it’s all happening though.


Funding my exchange experience…

I had personal savings and help from family.



Whilst on exchange, I travelled to…

I had 3 trips!

·       1. Friends and I did a road trip to palm springs one weekend and went to Joshua Tree National Park. I highly recommend that – it is super close and lots to do.

·       2. My boyfriend visited for 10 days in Feb- so we caught the train to LA over the weekend and went to a Lakers game and so-on.

·      3. On our final weekend at SDSU , we had booked Las Vegas so we did another road trip there and also drove to the Grand Canyon. That was funny but it was the weekend everything shut down – so it was pretty dead by Sunday. Also, driving on the other side of the road is super easy – you just need a good navigator!!


Advice I would give to someone considering studying abroad…

Just do it! It is super overwhelming leading up to it and a bit scary – but its worth it. Once in a life time opportunity!



- India studied abroad at San Diego State University in the USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!

EMAIL: 
studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/murdochoutbound
Powered by Blogger.