Michael's Exchange to Salzburg University of Applied Sciences | Austria

 


My name is Michael Cipriano and I studied abroad at Salzburg University of Applied Sciences in Austria in Semester 2, 2019. At Murdoch University, I am studying Games Art Design and Sound.

 

The key factors for myself choosing to study at Salzburg University of Applied Sciences were:

Besides the fact my courses fit well with the units offered at Salzburg University, I’ve never been to Central Europe. Whenever someone mentions Europe, they usually praise it fervently – about its land’s geographical splendour and its culture rich in history that are full of tales that intertwine like a thicket of vines. Now was the time for me to finally see if this illusive world spoke truth. I was intrigued, and Austria seemed to be the perfect place to begin my journey as it is situated in the centre of Europe, allowing me to branch out to neighbouring countries with ease. All the signs from this point directed me to go, but I had another reason for going; one, more personal. The motivation was intrinsic and manifested from within, taking shape as this insatiable hunger to experience a new world; a world so disparate that I would be able to breathe in a cleansing breath of fresh air. Just thinking about it made me both nervous and excited, anxious and uncertain, scared and thrilled. I would be able to view the world through a new lens by meeting new people, forming new relationships, and creating unforgettable memories that would change my life forever.



A little about Salzburg University of Applied Sciences...

During my studies in Salzburg, there was much that was foreign to me, but what stood out principally, was indeed, the teaching methods employed by the university and the relationship between student and tutor. From the very beginning, when I first met with my tutors, I quickly noticed that most of them valued networking. They all brought forth their prior experience in their field of expertise and genuinely cared about seeing every student succeed; there was this equal footing that both student and tutor stood upon. I’m not sure if this was because the university is much smaller in size and this would allow for more diverse interpersonal relationships to foster amongst us, but it was a pleasure to meet everyone and listen to their experiences within the gaming industry. My classes in the courses related to games tasked me with various challenges, such as 3D modelling, character design, and (perhaps most importantly) learning the components that make successful game design. On average I had roughly ten contact hours each week, but this varied as the schedule was always subject to change. In most classes the tutor was happy to speak English and rarely did I have an issue with understanding the content. However, the best classes in my opinion, were the units offered by the international office – the course, German as a Foreign Language, being my favourite – simply because it was predominantly incoming students who took this class. We all found ourselves drowning in pure fun as we struggled together in learning the German language. Needless to say, the other courses were not lacking in any way; each class felt like I was taking a wide step forward in developing a range of skills that I imagine I would never have made in the comfort of my home country.



A little about the city I lived in, Salzburg…

After living in the city for close to six months, all I can say is that Salzburg was a magical city. Words cannot capture the unique aura exuding from its old streets brimming full of life and aged architecture. Everyone there was also exceedingly friendly and kind. There were many times I found myself in need of assistance, and whenever I asked for help, people would always be more than happy to take the time to understand and support me with my problem. Not once did I feel unwelcome or unsafe as I traversed the streets from the glowing daylight to the darkest depths of midnight, to the misty air of early morning. Even now after having returned home, I feel like I’ve lost a part of me. I long to return, and the fact that the city continually visits me in my dreams is proof of this. The city itself was surprisingly easy to move around in. Manoeuvring in and around the city was daunting to begin with, but it quickly became a habit once I understood the transport system. Catching the train from Puch into Salzburg city was usually a 20-minute ride, full of pleasant scenery and comfortable, spacious seating. The only qualm I had with the transport was the fact that the last train ran at midnight. It was like a golden rule: if one misses that train, then it’s either you Taxi/Uber home or wait a painstaking four hours when the train line resumes at 4am. My favourite food to eat was Kebabs (usually after a few beers), which were a ubiquity in and around Salzburg. I did, however, also enjoy Bosna (an Austrian “hot-dog”, so to speak). My first experience with Bosna, was in a narrow alley of the Getreidegasse. A small lady in a hut built into a stone wall worked candidly as she delicately assembled each Bosna. The first bite was strange but oddly satisfying, containing a mix of curry and tomato sauce. I was unsure at first, but over time the Bosna grew on me.



The best parts of my experience…

Looking back on the trip, the best parts of my experience were, undoubtedly, the times I spent travelling with others. Visiting places such as Hallstatt and Bamberg, being able to immerse myself in the history and culture of each small town I crossed along the way. It will be something I treasure for the rest of my life. I recall that when we were in Hallstatt, the group of us (Han, Jay, Brian and me) were searching for the fabled Five Fingers lookout that spoke of unimaginable scenery that could be seen atop a mountain, but when we got there we discovered that they were not running the cable car up at that time of the year. It was unfortunate and we were slightly disappointed, but we chose to look on the brighter side and explore the area around Hallstatt, particularly Obertraun. I was enthralled to stand in the middle of a soccer pitch that was surrounded by these large mountains that made the town seem like it was in a fishbowl. Of course, we visited the Hallstatt Salt Mine and explored the town making sure to ground ourselves in the culture. I don’t think any of us are going to forget the time we spent there, especially the part where we were all freezing as we wandered in search for food once we got back to town in Goisern. The food we ate that night was glorious! We dined at an Arabic restaurant by the name of Kostbar Syriana where I ate a chicken shish kebab atop a mound of rice mixed in with nuts.




Some of the challenges about studying abroad…

In hindsight, there were many struggles I faced during my stay in Salzburg. I was homesick in the first weeks, but understood I needed to get out to counteract this feeling. I spent most of my time out of my room going on hikes, partying, walking, exploring and meeting new people to embrace this shift in culture. It was weird and confronting trying to navigate a land where German is the dominant language. I did feel uncomfortable in the early weeks of my arrival, mainly from the culture shock, but again I managed to climb this obstacle by immersing myself in the company of the other incoming students. I’d say it was around a month into my exchange, that I became much more comfortable with my surroundings. The chattering of German no longer bothered me and I was more open to starting conversations despite the language barrier. Without each other, those first weeks would have been considerably more difficult to overcome, so I’m thankful to all those whom I was fortunate to meet.


A little about my accommodation whilst studying abroad…

I stayed at Campus Urstein, which is conveniently place on the university grounds, next to the train stop, and a short walk from the SPAR, (the local supermarket). All I can say about the accommodation was that it was excellent throughout my stay. The room was warm, the facilities all worked fine, and the view was impeccable. From my window I could see the university grounds, albeit small, and the towering mountain not too far off in the distance. There was, however, an issue I encountered, where a payment had been made to the housing office, but they didn’t receive the money. This was mainly due to the bank’s fault and the process was painstakingly slow and frustrating as I tried to converse with multiple banks to correct the error. Thankfully, the staff working at the housing office were incredibly supportive and not once did I feel intimidated or treated as if my problems were irrelevant. For this I was immensely grateful. The whole situation spanned close to a month, concluding with the issue successfully being resolved.


Funding my exchange experience…

I funded my Exchange experience mainly through my own savings, the OS Help Loan, and generous support from my parents. Originally, I thought this was unattainable, but I managed to make it work.




Whilst on exchange, I travelled to…

The list of experiences and activities I did whilst on exchange is long, so I will try and sum up two notable moments. In most cases it was thrilling seeing new places, but I truly feel the people I met were the sole reason why Salzburg will remain special to me for the rest of my life.

Krampuslauf – Krampus is this demonic figure in Austrian culture that is said to kidnap naughty children to take to Hell. His counterpart is Saint Nicholas, but this particular celebration is centred around Krampus. The Austrians celebrate by having local Krampus runs and a group of us incomings went to the one held in Kuchl. It was both the coolest and most frightening experience from the whole trip; they literally carried around a bundle of sticks to whack random spectators! Lucky for me, I managed to avoid the frontlines.

Another great moment was when family and friends came over to see me for Christmas. We visited places such as Prague, Budapest and Vienna, all having an enjoyable time. Their decision to come see me was a choice made while I was staying in Salzburg without my knowledge, so it came as a pleasant surprise when I found out they were coming; which is probably what made that Christmas even more special.


Advice I would give to someone considering studying abroad...

If you are wondering about ever going on exchange in the future, I will say this: take the leap. For whatever reason you may be thinking of going, whether it’s to conquer the unknown, meet new people, new places; take hold of this opportunity and grasp it tightly. Without a doubt, the experience will change you in many ways and you will return having discovered a new aspect of yourself that views the world differently.


- Michael studied abroad at Salzburg University of Applied Sciences in Austria.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murdoch University Study Abroad & Exchange - Outbound
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTACT US!

EMAIL: 
studyabroad@murdoch.edu.au
PHONE: +61 8 93607836
VISIT: Murdoch University, Student Centre, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150

FIND US!
Powered by Blogger.